Wednesday, June 29, 2011

First Track Workout in Weeks

It's been 7 weeks since my last track workout which was right before I PRed in the 5000m(15:13).

Now, with several weeks of mileage averaging 100 per week under my belt, I am tapping into my speed and turnover. Today, the workout was to be 6x400m, with a 3 minute rest. Quality, not quantity, is my emphasis on workouts. I find that resting enough so I can repeat the speed as opposed to resting for 1 minute and running slower is what works for me. I actually felt pretty good out there, given the fact I haven't done any speed for a while....it's like it just came back to me as if I did a workout just last week. The splits I hit were right at target pace(64-65 seconds). Splits below:

64, 64, 64, 65, 66, 66

The last 2 it wasn't strength, but speed preventing me from repeating the 64s or faster. This will improve quickly, however. I tend to get fit very quickly. I feel I can hit some 61-62s with some sharpening. I will do another workout probably Tuesday(maybe an 800 at mile race pace, a 400, and a couple 200s) before the MCRRC 1 Mile track race(7.08). The race will be my first in 2 months, and I will aim to shatter my mile PR from high school. This isn't a big focus race however, just a stepping stone to bigger things.

No comments:

Post a Comment