Sunday, July 31, 2011

Climbing Higher: 7/25-7/31: 112 miles/week



I am climbing higher and higher. I was going to get in 120 miles this week, but I toned it down to 112 by skipping a second run I was going to do on Saturday. The reason being I want to climb in mileage gradually, starting from 103 last week to 112 this week, and then this next week I'll be at 120-125. July is over and I have averaged 90 miles/week for the month. Over the past 10 weeks I have averaged 95 miles/week. I am crushing this mileage and only getting better and stronger. This week I did a couple of faster runs incorporated into the mileage. During my long run for the week(19 miles), I threw in 5 miles at a brisk pace coming back up the Capital Crescent Trail, going UPHILL at 5:45 pace. This was just a small dose of bigger things to come in my training/fitness. My fitness is only improving and I imagine I will gradually be working down my pace over the next several weeks and doing tempo cruise intervals and some faster pacing overall. I do not know what my marathon pace is yet but I will know soon. I am also handling this brutal heat well, and once the cooler weather arrives I'm going to feel fantastic. I have high, high goals this fall.


The BIG training month is coming up: August...I will train farther and more than I ever have. The high week for that month is going to be 140+ miles.

5 comments:

  1. Beware of the mileage game and beware of shooting for numbers. They are only numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know we give you a hard time on Sunday mornings, but you are truly a rockstar runner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want to climb gradually, and you should, don't think about running over 130 this month,and that's a stretch. I agree with Jake, it seems pretty arbitrary, unless you have a really good reason for that mileage goal and even then, jumping to 60 miles from 40 in a few weeks is a big difference from jumping to 140+ from 120.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Maria. Klim and Ban, I appreciate the suggestions/feedback. This is a new level of miles for me but it feels good...at the same time I do need to not overdo it and not get lost in the "numbers." Klim is right-140 is just a number...it may end up being 136 or maybe I won't go higher than 125. I pay close attention to what my body says so I do not overtrain-this I know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are destined to have a great season. The ONLY thing that might f*&% that up is bad weather (beyond your control) or an injury...possibly brought on my aggressive training. Be cautious. Just remember to trust the fitness you ALREADY have. All that work you have already done over the past 9 mos is like money sitting in a bank acct collecting interest. This fall you can cash that in. I am not suggesting to not press it and reach new limits, just be very cautious. You don't want to end up like me.

    ReplyDelete