Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Wednesday, June 27: 6x300m

Today I did my first track workout in 4 weeks.  It was 6x300 meters with 2:30-3:00 rests between each.  This was not a typical long distance runner's workout.  However, this workout is important because it achieves benefits in speed and power, and I believe all distance runners should maximize their short distance speed at least to some degree, regardless of their peak racing event.  This shouldn't be done a whole lot for a long distance runner, just sprinkled enough throughout the training year.  It gets down to the right mix of overall balance.  Galen Rupp is a great example-he has run a 3:34 1500m time(also a world class time) and this isn't even his main event.  But it will surely help him with that final kick and turnover in the Olympic 10,000m this summer.  I think, no matter what type of runner you are though, you want to make sure you don't overdo either end.  Many "milers" just race mile after mile after mile, and don't incorprate enough "support races" (for supportive aerobic capacity) like the 3,000m and 5,000m(for them).  Some milers don't do enough "sprint training" or even 800 meter racing as well.  For a 10K runner like Galen Rupp, well, racing a half marathon in 60:00 all the way down to a 3:34 1500m race is the best range he can get to run his absolute best in the 10k.  If he did the marathon this year though, I think that would have been a disastrous move, and it's a good thing he didn't.

It's also important to attack certain systems at the right times.  For me, working on my stride power and doing exercises like hill sprints, strides, lots of drills, and short, speedwork sessions from time to time will help me become a better runner, and I believe will help me furthur down the road to become the best half/full marathoner I can be.  Even doing extra strength training/lifting helps with the anaerobic nature of short, speed intervals.  300s are a miler's workout.  And this is why I did them today.  They are high intensity, laregly anaerobic workouts.  They engage the muscles to contract very largely, and make a runner more power-efficient. 

Splits: 46, 46, 46, 46, 46, 46
I split 46 seconds for every interval, which is anywhere from 3:50-3:54 1500m race pace, or 4:06-4:10 mile pace.  I know I am not able to run that fast for a mile right now, however.  I am planning to run the MCRRC Midsummer Night's Mile next Friday, July 6.  It should be fun, and I did this race last year when I ran 4:27.  I plan on doing one more workout before then, like some 400/200s.  It's fun to attack one's weaknesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment