Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Cold, Dark Runs


It's cold. It's dark. It's Winter. There aren't as many runners out on the roads now...

The good side of this weather is that it toughens the body and mind up. I somehow enjoy training through the adversity. Running in this type of weather just clarifies how much I truly love to run outdoors. This is the time to train. Endure through the long, hard winters. I grow used to it, and get stronger because of it.
Today I did a light track session by myself before meeting up with the group I am coaching through the PR store. I warmed up and did 1X1200, 1X800, 1X400, with 800 "run" between each rep. Nothing crazy, just increased the pace during each interval. 3:57 for the 1200, 2:27 for the 800, and 66 for the 400. Again, nothing special, just getting into the "zone." It was enough.
Tomorrow I will do a pretty steady/moderately hard/tempo run and that should be it for workouts this week until Jingle All the Way. The coaching tonight went very well, a solid group of 6 showed up at the track tonight and braved the cold conditions. On weekends there are 20-30 who come for the long runs so the track group is smaller in comparison so far. I am very happy with how the first sessions this week went for the runners.

2 comments:

  1. "The good side of this weather is that it toughens the body and mind up. I somehow enjoy training through the adversity. Running in this type of weather just clarifies how much I truly love to run outdoors. This is the time to train. Endure through the long, hard winters. I grow used to it, and get stronger because of it.
    " - Chris Sloane

    ReplyDelete