Wednesday, August 24, 2011

8/24: 4Mile Tempo: 20:20

I felt awesome during my tempo run this morning...almost too good. I went to the Richard Montgomery Track and did 20:20 for 4 miles which felt comfortably hard. AND it was a day after I ran 16 miles at a decent pace. I split 5:08, 5:05, 5:05, 5:02. My goal was to feel relatively comfortable doing it since it would be close to my half marathon race pace. Speaking of which, I averaged 5:05 pace...which for a half marathon is 1:06:40 pace! But it's probably a little ambitious to say I can run 1:06 in 3 1/2 weeks....probably more realistic is 1:07-1:08...but still...the pace sure didn't feel that hard. The way I look at it, I ran almost 1/3 of the goal distance at 1:06-1:07 pace, and had energy left in the tank. If I can do, lets say 8 miles, at that pace in a training run...then I would be really confident I could run that sorta time. We'll see how the training progresses over the next few weeks. Training tells a lot. But also mentality is a huge part. My mental toughness of running many workouts alone, coaching myself, I believe it makes me a stronger and wiser runner who knows his purpose, and is already self motivated. I know what I need to do. I just need to go out and...do it. I am not totally ruling out the possibility of running 1:06 for the half...but I also need to make sure I know what goal pace is realistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment