Sunday, September 23, 2012

If 100 Miles/Week doesn't kill you, it will make you stronger

Training Week 9/17-9/23:

Monday: AM: 10 miles: 69:00
PM: EZ short run + 10x100 meter strides, 4 miles total

Tuesday: AM: 15 miles in Poolesville, hilly, 7:00 pace

Wednesday: PM: 8X800 meter repeats w/ 2:00 min rests:
2:24, 2:23, 2:21, 2:20, 2:20, 2:20, 2:20, 2:18, 10 miles total

Thursday: PM: 12 miles, 1:24:00(7:00 pace)

Friday: AM: 14 miles slow and easy(7:30 pace) on towpath in Dickerson, MD

Saturday: AM: 20 miles at Edward's Ferry/White's Ferry, 2:01:00(6:00 pace)

Sunday: AM: 15 miles at The MD/DC Line, 1:40:00(6:40 pace)

TOTAL: 100 MILES

I felt surprisingly very little soreness the day after the Philadelphia RocknRoll Half Marathon last weekend.  I took it as a blessing and got in 10 miles Monday morning, and another 4 miles in the evening(plus 10x100 meter strides).  On Tuesday, I cranked out a solid hilly 15 miler in Poolesville and was still fresh enough to do a track workout on Wednesday of 800 meter repeats at 2:20 a piece, all with 2:00 min rest(there was only 1 interval where I rested a bit longer).  This is letting me know that my ability to recover is getting better.  My fitness is also improving as my long run pace from previous weeks has improved from 6:30 pace to 6:00 pace.  My pace tends to quicken during my runs as well.  5:50s are starting to become typical at the end of my easy runs.  Even on Sunday, the day after I ran the brisk 20, I was running 5:50s at the end of another 15 miler.  And if 100 miles total running this week doesn't kill me, I am stronger.  The weather is also really nice now, cooler temps and crisp mornings, especially on Sunday.  It's perfect running weather, no doubt about it. 

I also just wanted to say thanks to everyone reading this blog-I hope it gives a lot of inspiration no matter what your goals are.  Ryan from Illinois-thanks for commenting on my last post and I'm sure you are going to hit that 1:10 in the near future.  Furthur, don't lose sight of the bigger goal you have-just keep working hard and consistency will pay off.

In other news I was so disheartened to hear about yet another proposal to cut mens track and cross country from the University of Richmond.  Please support their program by going to http://signon.org/sign/save-richmond-track.fb23?source=s.icn.fb&r_by=2642751.  After the University of MD cutting their programs, this is just really unfortunate news.  I met coach and legendary runner Steve Taylor my senior year of high school on a visit to Virginia Tech.  Even though I was not as talented as some of the other runners on scholarships, he looked me in the eye and told me I could become a sub 30 minute 10K runner.  Unfortunately(but fortunately for Richmond), his whole staff was removed that summer after I had already decided to attend Virginia Tech.  He then moved to Richmond with his wife, Lori, who also coaches the womens programs.  They are fabulous coaches, and I was sad I never got the experience of having Steve coach me.  It is unfortunate for great track programs like Richmond and Maryland to deal with these misplaced cuts all because of simply, money and Title IX.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your support, buddy. If Richmond had offered architecture or a program that would have interested you, we would have loved to have had you as a Spider and you would have fit in amazingly.

    ReplyDelete