Thursday, February 11, 2010

Feb 11: 10M@13.1M Race Pace/10M PR!

Today I went to the gym with Andy who nicely got me in with his guest pass. I did a Half Marathon Pace workout on the treadmill. The goal was to run 5:27 pace(1:11:00 half marathon race pace) for 10 miles. I warmed up for about 5 minutes, stretched, put on my lightweight trainers and started the workout. I cranked the speed up to 11 mph and felt pretty good. It was a hard workout but I felt strong, and tried to stay relaxed. I fluctuated the speed just slightly, changing it to 10.9 mph at times, but still raising it back to 11 mph and towards the end even increasing to 11.1 mph!! I felt VERY strong and had a lot left when I finished! I can confidently say that I am in 1:11:00 half marathon shape. I even PRed today in the 10 mile: 54:35. PRed by almost a minute! I ran a cooldown and it was almost hard to force myself to slow down. But I have goals. Recovery is just as important.

The training I have been doing for the last couple of years is really starting to pay off now. I do believe my upcoming races in 2010 will show this.

My week so far:

Mon: 9 miles
Tues: 11 miles
Wed: 8 miles(in snow blizzard)
Thurs: 13.5 miles(10M: 54:35)

1 comment: