Sunday, May 27, 2012

May 21-27: 90 Miles/Week

This week was a very hard-working week for me.  I am a bit tired, and feel I am coming to the finish of a long season.  Still, I feel like I have one more bullet left in the gun before going back to basics.  I hit high miles again this week, and on top of that I did 2 workouts, with 11 miles of total work(fast running).  The heat and humidity are also back, just in time for me to adapt before going to Florida next week for about 9 or 10 days.  Then I return on Saturday, June 9, before flying out to Duluth on the 14th.  Before I know it, I will be racing against some top runners in the country on June 16th, which will be 10 days before my 29th birthday.  On Thursday morning, a warm morning at that, I did a 5 x mile with minimum rest, to get into specific threshold pace, hitting right around 5:00 a piece.  Then, only 48 hours later, on a very humid morning, I did a 6 mile tempo on the towpath from Rileys to Swains with Jake, Sam, and U.S. Marine Sean Barrett(who finished 3rd at the Marine Corps Marathon a few years ago).  I definitely was partially fatigued going into the second workout.  In addition, the previous evening during an easy 8 miler, I felt my blood sugar plummet-not a pleasant thing for a runner(that evening I ate a ton).  But I knew this workout was going to be a great "toughening up" workout, especially since I had 29:37 10k runner Sam Luff and Jake Klim to work with.  My goal was to get in a solid "effort" of about 6 miles or so, or I told myself to go not much past 30 minutes, whichever came first.  The total distance I was unsure of, as the mile markers on the canal are very off, but I stopped my watch short of the 6th marker at 30:35, and it was definitely a little under 6 miles.  It was a solid effort though, and running with Sam, Jake, and Sean really helped.  The humidity was rough and definitely hit me like a ton of bricks as I knew it would so I grabbed a pre-stashed gatorade at Swains Lock and proceeded for a second 6 mile run back up to Rileys Lock where we started.  Sunday, I ran for 17 miles for an "easy" long run and felt ok.  The heat and humidity though, have made me thirsty as hell.  After my run I gulped gatorade, and more gatorade.        


Monday: PM: 10 miles easy

Tuesday: AM: 13 miles easy

Wednesday: AM: 5.5 miles easy, PM: 7.5 miles easy

Thursday: AM: 5x1600m w/ 2-3 min rests: 5:00, 5:00, 5:01, 5:02, 5:04, 9.5 miles total

Friday: AM: 4.5 miles easy, PM: 8 miles easy

Saturday: AM: 2 mile warm up, <6 mile tempo(30:35), 6.5 mile run, 14.5 miles total

Sunday: AM: 17 miles

Total: 90 Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment