Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Wednesday, 5/30: 8 X 1 Mile

This morning I did a really great half marathon track workout.  The workout was 8 x 1 mile, with only 2 minute rests between each.  This would simulate a great feel for the half marathon.  My goal was to run 5:00 a piece.  It was pretty tiring, although I must say given the heat and humidity lately my body felt pretty good.  The other thing is, yesterday I ran 15 miles, and am on another high mileage week.  So my body should be pretty tired...

Splits:


5:03, 5:01, 5:01, 5:00, 5:01, 5:01, 5:01, 5:03

After I was done, I felt so familiar with 75 second quarters that I think I would know the exact pace if I ran without a watch and without a track.  This workout is EXACTLY what I needed.  It was a really great builder for the half, and I am feeling more confident about tackling another half in 2 1/2 weeks.  I think its good too to repeat the exact same pace because it helps get familiar with and adapt to that pace.  The 2 min rests were a lot less rest than I'm used to, and it gave me great confidence when I could just repeat the pace pretty comfortably off such short rest.  The other thing that has helped this is the fact that I can run 71 quarters for a 5k, so 75s don't feel so bad.  After all, practice does make perfect.

I am off to Florida tomorrow morning.  It will be even more hot and humid there, and I will be training earlier in the morning.  I should hit close to 100 miles this week, and next week will be less, going into more fine tuning/tapering.  I will do a couple more fine tuning workouts in Florida but the one I did today really put a lot of hay in the barn.  Certainly, it is all downhill from here.  I feel I am hitting my prime at just the right time.

2 comments: