Sunday, January 24, 2010

Jan 24: 11 Mile Cutdown

This week was kind of an up and down week, considering I got a sinus infection Wednesday. After doing a 15 mile "wake up" run on Thursday, on Friday I ran 4 miles in the morning and 8 miles in the evening. On Saturday, I took it reeeally easy, ran only for 3 miles and called it a day. My plan for Sunday was to run long 19-20 miles with the GRC but I changed my plans and decided to sleep in late to really defeat the rest of the sinus infection. I slept a lot. I also changed my plans for a workout. I decided to run an 11+ mile progression run at the Canal, and it was VERY successful. The mile markers at the canal aren't very accurate, so I am really just comparing this workout to past workouts and times I have hit these certain mile markers. I estimated one mile which was longer to a converted time and also another mile which was a bit short I added a few seconds. But overall it was clear to me that I was cruising faster and faster each mile-and my turnover was good, I wasn't overstriding or going too fast. I started off gradually picking up the pace for the first 1/2 mile, and the next 2 miles I cruised lightly at 6:10s, then hit 6:00, 5:55, and 5:49. I felt very good. I turned around, and progressed in the final 5 miles in 5:54, 5:47, 5:35, 5:35, and then 5:20. 5:20 is my current 10K race pace. I wasn't surprised I hit that last mile pretty quick, and I felt really good! This type of cutdown workout is my signature 13.1/26.2 Workout. It is a huge confidence booster for me. I want to work this up to a 15 mile and then finally a 20 mile cutdown. I think there is great work going on here, my cardiovascular system is just feeding off of this type of work. I did a 1/2 mile cooldown after to make it 11 miles total. I think the 10Miles I did was done in just over 58:00 or so. Splits below:

Splits:
6:10
6:10
6:00
5:55
5:49
5:54
5:47
5:35
5:35
5:20

I did only 62 miles this week, but with the sinus infection and the quality workout on Sunday, it ended on a high note. And I got a down week out of it too, so I will be able to raise the mileage again next week.
8 Weeks until the Marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment