Thursday, December 31, 2009

2007, 2008, 2009, & the beginning of 2010

I started training seriously again in 2007. Looking back, it has been a progression in yearly mileage since then. Statistics of mileage:


2007: 1933 miles
2008: 1930 miles
2009: 2376 miles(average 46 miles per week, 6.5 miles per day)

The fact that I have averaged only 46 miles per week for the last year indicates I have a lot of room for improvement, especially once I raise the mileage.

Interestingly, 2007 and 2008 were almost exactly identical in numbers, where 2009 was a bigger jump. I also raced much more in 2009(as shown below)


2007: 2 races(1 Marathon)
2008: 8 races(1 Marathon)
2009: 20 races(2 Marathons)


It seems I have begun to increase the mileage more steadily(as I need to, my overall mileage is low compared to some others on the team). However, I seem to have developed a very strong ability to recover quickly from races. For example, Marine Corps was on Oct 25th, and 3 weeks later I was able to PR in the 10K as well as race 2 MORE 10Ks all within 4 weeks and run 2 MORE PRs. Over the summer, I raced a lot as well, in addition to running 2 back-to-back half marathons in Sept within less than a week in 1:15 & 1:17 respectively. This is progress in becoming a stronger marathoner. Being a good marathoner requires the ability to recover quickly. That's how you race 13 miles, and then run 13 more miles at the same pace.


So I am getting stronger. I ran well in the Frederick Marathon in May. Marine Corps was a disappointment, but I toughed it out. The mileage needs to increase more, but the quantity of races will decrease in 2010. 2010 will all be about quality, setting PRs, reaching new levels. I am projecting around 14 races for 2010. Mileage will increase, how much I don't know, but I'm guessing around 3500, maybe more, maybe less. The point is, I have worked up from 2007, and now I am taking the step to achieve the goals I set out for right from the beginning.

2 comments:

  1. In the immortal words of Journey "Don't stop believin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sloane,

    Nice job getting out on the C&O early in the cold this Sunday morning. I was with Jake and crew! 15deg and cold! Sucks!!! Hopefully you can join some of our afternoon/evening weekday runs. I will keep ya in the loop.

    Jordan

    ReplyDelete