Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Looking Ahead


On Tuesday and Wednesday I did easy distance runs of 4-5 miles each day. I ran with my dog Mickey on Wednesday. Little guy needs to run, he has waaay too much energy(He is a Chihuahua/Terrier mix). He's a pretty good runner though, actually.

My legs feel really good. Quite the contrary to how I felt in Sept/Oct. I just had this overall achyness I couldn't shake. It seems that the triple 10K attack I had in Nov/Dec really revived me?

It was a great way to end the year, with those 3 10Ks, because they were a little bit of redemption for me after a very dissapointing Marine Corps Marathon. The 13.1 I ran in Va early Sept went OK, 1:15 was a solid time but again, after going through 10 miles in 56:40(5:40 pace) I slowed considerably and averaged over 6:00 pace for the last 5K. But, overall it was still a solid effort, so I can't say it was a bad race either.

I am already looking foward to doing some Marathon Pace Work this weekend. No hard 20 Milers yet obviously, but just something to start from(like 8 miles at marathon goal pace). The Shamrock Marathon is less than 14 weeks away, so it is an ideal time to start preparing. The 10Ks I think(as Dirk wisely said) are really going to help get my Marathon/1/2 Marathon times down to the goals I aim for. I want to break 1:12:00 for the Half Marathon. The bigger goal is to break 2:30:00 for 26.2. That's 5:43 per mile. It is tough, but I believe doable. I need a solid Half Marathon time though, too, to help, just as the 10K helps.

1 comment:

  1. You've had a great fall chipping away at your 10k PR.

    And I think you can carve off even more (ie - 32:45) by the time Pikes Peek comes around.

    Though, it's hard to train for the fast stuff while training for the long stuff.

    Keep on pressing on. It's working.

    ReplyDelete